Many mattresses claim to be “organic” or “natural,” but what do those buzzwords mean exactly? Different certification seals represent achievement of different standards—for example, in order for a mattress to have a U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) organic seal, it must consist of at least 95% organic materials.
While many mattresses don’t bear that seal, Consumer Reports notes that manufacturers can use the term “organic” even if only a portion of the materials used are certified organic. Still, other certifications—such as Certi-PUR and Greenguard—can provide transparency, ensuring that certain parts of the mattress weren’t made with certain materials or chemicals.
If you’re considering buying a more natural mattress, look for one with endorsements from ethical, organic and environmental certifying authorities like the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) and Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
To find the best organic, non-toxic mattresses available, we analyzed data on more than 650 mattress options and ranked them in terms of materials used, price, comfort, their try-and-return policies and more. See which mattresses made the list and learn about organic mattresses, the benefits of getting one and how to choose the right one for you. Note: This ranking focuses exclusively on queen size mattresses. Prices and availability of mattresses are subject to change.
Best Organic, Non-Toxic Mattresses of 2022
Bear Original Mattress
Price: $749 | Type: Foam | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US |
The Bear Original mattress ends your mattress-hunting struggle if you tend to sleep hot or experience body pains and are looking for an organic, eco-friendly mattress option. With GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certifications, this mattress delivers eco-friendly and non-toxic comfort to your sleep experience.
The mattress is layered with cooling graphite gel memory foam to dissipate body heat and deliver cooling relief. It also has an open cell construction, making the mattress breathable and allowing proper air circulation and cooling effects. Its third layer consists of responsive transition foam that aligns with your sleep position and provides ergonomic comfort to your back, hips and shoulders.
Bear Pro Mattress
Price: $1,465 | Type: Foam | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US
The Bear Pro is another GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US certified mattress, perfect for health- and sustainability-conscious shoppers looking for a bed that provides well-rested nights.
The mattress cover is made with a celliant coating and copper-infused foam that wicks away body heat, promotes airflow and supports body recovery after a long day, according to the company. Meanwhile, its responsive transition foam layer provides zoned support for major body parts and pressure point relief.
Nolah Natural 11-Inch Mattress
Price: $1,799 | Type: Latex hybrid | Certifications: OEKO-TEX 100 Class 1 certified and made with organic cotton and wool
The Nolah Natural 11-inch mattress is a latex hybrid mattress that’s ideal for sleepers who want an organic and hypoallergenic bed.
Hot sleepers may also benefit from the breathability of its cotton cover and wool layers, as well as the ventilation and cooling comfort of its temperature-neutral Talalay latex and individually wrapped coils. Its responsive Talalay latex also contours the body and relieves pressure points. Durability is also a benefit with its latex material composition.
Bear Hybrid Mattress
Price: $1,732 | Type: Hybrid | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold and CertiPUR-US |
The Bear Hybrid mattress is designed to take your sleep quality to the next level while promoting your sleep health with materials that leave a minimal environmental footprint.
This hybrid mattress offers five layers of clean comfort for a relaxing night’s rest. Its quilted cover is made with materials designed for a cooler and refreshing sleep. Its second layer consists of copper-infused memory foam, providing cooling relief. The mattress’ third layer of foam contours to your body shape and sleeping position and alleviates pressure buildup on the body. Its pocketed coils offer motion isolation and strengthen the mattress. Lastly, its base support ensures your mattress remains durable.
Birch Natural Mattress
Price: $1,799 | Type: Hybrid | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold, eco-INSTITUT and made with GOTS-certified organic cotton and materials |
This handmade mattress consists of a GOTS-certified organic cotton quilted cover, as well as fire-retardant, organic wool and natural rayon fibers beneath it.
The third layer consists of birch wool that regulates body heat, so hot sleepers can experience less sweaty nights. Plus, it’s layered with eco-INSTITUT certified latex—which is certified for low emissions—to provide gentle support while releasing tension at pressure points.
Avocado Green Mattress
Price: $1,599 | Type: Hybrid | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold, Standard 100 by OEKO-TEX Class 1 and made with GOLS-certified organic latex and GOTS-certified organic wool and cotton |
The Avocado Green mattress is needle-tufted by hand and made from organic materials certified by reputable agencies, including GOLS, GOTS and STANDARD 100 by OEKO-TEX.
This hybrid mattress features a solid innerspring system that consists of 1,414 coils in five support zones, delivering body cushioning, relieving pressure buildup and back pains and providing motion isolation. It’s also reinforced with perimeter coils for extra edge support to prevent the bed from sinking.
Avocado Vegan Mattress
Price: $1,599 | Type: Hybrid | Certifications: GreenGuard Gold, PETA-approved and made with GOTL-certified latex and GOTS-certified cotton |
This mattress, handmade with vegan, organic and non-toxic materials, boasts 1,414 individually pocketed coils built to reduce motion transfer and offer cushioning. It also provides sturdy edge support.
This mattress was also designed with vegans in mind, as it’s vegan-endorsed by Vegan Action (the Vegan Awareness Foundation), PETA-approved and made with organic cotton and latex. It comes in two varieties—standard (a medium-firm feel) and pillow top (for a softer experience).
What Is an Organic Mattress?
While there are stricter requirements for a mattress to be USDA-certified organic (and mattresses with that seal are few and far between), a mattress can use the term “organic” if just some of its materials are certified organic, according to Consumer Reports.
Mattresses with “organic” or “natural” labels test for various chemicals or emission limits. These mattresses might be environmentally-friendly, sustainably sourced and/or made with non-toxic or organic materials. It all depends on its seals of certifications. Here are some certifications to look for when purchasing an organic mattress:
- Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS). GOLS awards its seal to mattresses manufactured from at least 95% organic latex, with additional restrictions on the other latex featured in the mattress.
- Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS). Similar to GOLS, this certification ensures at least 95% of materials in a mattress are certified organic and prohibits use of certain materials.
Other certifications that indicate a mattress meets more rigorous safety, health and environmental guidelines include:
- GreenGuard Gold
- Standard 100 by Oeko-Tex
- MADE SAFE
Benefits of an Organic Mattress
Despite often carrying a heftier price tag, an organic and natural mattress can provide the following benefits:
- They may be hypoallergenic. Organic mattresses are often made with materials that are safe for people with allergies and may help minimize allergens that can impair sleep quality.
- They may be pollutant-free. Organic mattresses are often made without harmful chemicals like volatile organic compounds (VOCs), which can trigger unpleasant symptoms like allergies, dizziness, headaches, nausea and throat irritation.
- They may have a smaller impact on the environment. Mattresses that carry organic standard certifications may follow sustainability best practices from sourcing materials to production processes.
How to Choose an Organic Mattress
Here are few details to consider when shopping for an organic mattress:
- Affordability. Although mattresses are a long-term and worthwhile investment, how much you can spend on one comes down to your budget. Choose an organic mattress that accommodates your budget while also satisfying the basic requirements of an organic mattress.
- Mattress features. Organic mattresses come with various features that satisfy different sleep needs. If you’re a hot sleeper, consider a mattress with cooling technology. If you experience body pains, consider a medium-firm mattress that prioritizes ergonomics-backed comfort.
- Certifications. Quality organic mattresses should have third-party credentials to back them up. Look for a mattress certified by at least one recognized certifying authority before purchasing one.
- Your sleeping position. Whether you’re a back sleeper, side sleeper, stomach sleeper or combination sleeper, there’s an organic mattress ideal for your sleeping style. For instance, back sleepers may enjoy a medium-firm mattress that evenly distributes body weight and gently cushions their body.