We all need a good night’s sleep, and experts advise at least seven uninterrupted hours of shut eye for healthy adults. While each person’s path to achieving this goal is unique, all have a similar important factor: selecting the right mattress. Seven-plus hours a day, every day amounts to nearly one-third of our lives, and deciding where you spend that time is important.
Tuft & Needle at a Glance
Tuft & Needle, a direct-to-consumer online mattress company, believes it has cracked the code with its three foam mattress models. The mattress designs rely on the company’s proprietary Tuft & Needle Adaptive foam, designed to contour and relieve pressure points. Read on to see what reviewers thought of Tuft & Needle designs, and to learn what type of foam mattress might be right for you.
- A thorough analysis of the Original’s customer reviews on Tuft & Needle’s Better Business Bureau profile showed high praise for the mattress’ support over traditional memory foam.
- Most reviewers specifically interested in pressure relief found the Tuft & Needle Adaptive foam to be comparable to traditional memory foam.
- Many of the reviewers offered praise for the mattresses’ coolness. Others believed the mattresses did a satisfactory job but did not noticeably exceed airflow expectations of traditional mattresses.
- Users over 200 pounds complained that even with the added firmness and bounce, the mattresses still didn’t offer great support and are not ideal for heavier sleepers.
- Unlike the 12-inch thick Mint and Hybrid models, the Original’s height is only 10 inches. This might be adequate for light and medium-weight sleepers, but may feel thinner for those accustomed to a higher mattress.
- While side sleepers sang praise, a higher proportion of reviewers on BBB identifying as stomach sleepers offered criticism of the mattresses’ comfort.
Support: Tuft & Needle’s advertised reputation boasts support and bounce.
Pressure relief: An important feature for back and stomach sleepers, the Tuft & Needle Original has been specifically designed with pressure relief in mind.
Cool sleeping: Tuft & Needle claims the Original’s heat-conducting graphite and open-cell cooling technologies pull heat away from the body.
About Tuft & Needle
Founded in 2012 by Daehee Park and John-Thomas Marino, Tuft & Needle aims to offer a better mattress buying experience at a lower cost. Based in Arizona, the company’s primary focus is simple, direct-to-consumer online sales, but brick-and-mortar stores can be found in Texas, California, Oregon, North Carolina and other locations around the U.S.
In 2018, Tuft & Needle announced that it was merging with Serta Simmons Bedding, the company behind a number of sleep brands including Serta, Simmons and Beautyrest.
Tuft & Needle earns praise among reviewers for its philanthropic work, which includes new mattress donations to those in need and a donation system for mattresses that would otherwise be returned or discarded. The company has earned a 4.9 out of 5-star rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Tuft & Needle Mattress Options and Prices
Tuft & Needle offers three core models in bundles with sheets and a mattress protector in all standard sizes, including twin XL and California king.
|Mattress type||2-layer foam||3-layer foam||Foam-spring hybrid|
|Intended user||Back and stomach sleepers||Back and side sleepers||All sleeping positions|
|Thickness (height):||10 inches||12 inches||12 inches|
|Features:||3 inches of T&N Adaptive foam with graphite and cooling gel, 7 inches of foundational support foam||3 inches of T&N Adaptive foam with graphite, 2 inches of denser T&N Adaptive foam with ceramic cooling gel, 7 inches of foundational support foam||2 inches of T&N Adaptive foam with graphite and ceramic cooling gel, 1 inch of nano coil springs, 1 inch of denser T&N Adaptive foam, 6 inches of pocket springs, 1 inch of foundational support foam|
Customization Options and Special Features
- Antimicrobial protection from HeiQ, $50: Standard for all Mint mattresses, Tuft & Needle’s Original mattress can now also come pre-treated with HeiQ HyProTecht, an antimicrobial material embedded in the mattress cover fabric that reduces odor from use, for an additional cost.
- Mattress topper, $180-$270: This two-inch thick topper can go right on top of a Tuft & Needle mattress or can add extra comfort and softness to any standard mattress. It’s designed to help relieve pressure points around the hips and shoulders.
Accessories and Apps
- Mattress protector, $45-$81: Tuft & Needle offers a machine-washable cover specifically designed for their mattresses.
- Dog bed, $120-$200: Billed as “a very good bed for a very good dog,” this bed is composed of a foam base and a detachable, foam pad cushion that is made to fit in a dog crate. Available in rust, desert or charcoal color options, the bed comes in three sizes.
- T&N White Noise App, free on Apple App Store or Google Play: For pairing with the Tuft & Needle + SNOOZ White Noise Machine ($90).
- Sheets, $60-$225: Sheets are available in jersey, linen and percale options, in up to six colors.
- Duvets, $75-$430: Tuft & Needle offers a traditional down duvet insert and a less expensive down alternative model. Also offered are linen and percale duvet covers in up to six colors.
- Blankets, $95-$195: Cotton-linen quilt is available in full/queen and king/California king sizes, in up to three colors. A knitted throw blanket in “fog” (gray) or indigo is offered as an add-on to several purchases, or can be purchased separately.
- Pillows and pillowcases, varies in price: Pillows are available in original foam, down and down alternative materials. Linen and percale pillowcase sets, and linen and percale sham sets, are available in up to six colors.
- Baby and toddler bedding, $60-$65:
- Crib offerings: waterproof crib protector and crib sheet set in up to five colors
- Toddler offerings: muslin toddler blanket in up to two colors and organic cotton toddler sheet set in up to five colors.
- Bed frame products:
- Metal base, $60 -$100: described as “simple metal bedframe.”
- Box foundation, $200-$325: billed as an “upgraded” box spring and designed to fit perfectly with the Tuft & Needle metal base.
- Wood bed frame, $995–$1,295: made of “high quality hardwood.” A serious aesthetic upgrade to more basic frame options.
- Adjustable bed frame, $995-$1,595: available in queen through split King. Can elevate at both head and foot for a fine-tuned sleep position.
Sleep and Meditation Accessories
- White Noise Machine, $90: Tuft & Needle partnered with SNOOZ for this real-fan white noise machine. It can be controlled through the optional T&N White Noise App.
- Loftie Smart Alarm Clock, $149: This two-phase alarm clock first wakes the user gently and then plays an alarm to get them out of bed. It also offers a white noise feature, stories and “sound baths” to promote falling asleep. While it can be controlled from the optional Loftie companion app, it’s designed to help users remove their cell phone from their sleep routine.
- Calm Meditation Cushion, $80: Designed to reduce stress and promote better rest. Washable cover, 5.5 inches tall, 15 inches in diameter. Available in light blue-gray “mist” color.
Tuft & Needle offers a 100-night trial on its mattresses. It also offers a 10-year limited warranty, which covers manufacturing and workmanship defects such as sagging and material breakdown of the foam.
What Sleep Experts Say
Sleep is incredibly important for the healthy functioning of the human body, and experts recommend at least seven uninterrupted hours for adults. Large-scale studies on mattress types—especially by brand—are few and far between, but smaller studies have revealed a clear connection between comfort and quality of sleep. This suggests an important factor in getting great sleep is how comfortable you are on your mattress. Much of the decision about what’s best for you may actually lie in your comfort preference.
Meanwhile, studies of higher heat capacity mattresses show subtle conductive cooling technologies (like those advertised by T&N) can reduce core body temperature, slow heart rate and increase the duration of deep sleep.
What Users Say
One customer left a positive review on T&N’s BBB profile, writing, “Excellent mattress. I’m impressed with everything about it. I toss and turn less, feel more rested, and am comforted into sleep by a supportive firmness with just the right amount of ‘give.” She also commented on the buying experience saying, “Everything about the experience of purchasing my mattress was positive. Quick delivery, easy box to manage, easy to follow opening instructions, ability to use the mattress almost immediately. I love the return policy and the kindness of donating the mattress to a nonprofit. I took a chance on this mattress after hours and hours of research, and I’m glad I did.”
Another customer noted Tuft & Needle lives up to expectations, writing, “Mattresses could’ve been this good and priced this affordably a long, long time ago. I held off buying a Tuft & Needle several years because I payed a fortune for the last one. But, well worth the wait.”
However, the customer experience doesn’t get glowing reviews from everyone. Another user wrote, “Tuft and Needle apparently provides a much different customer service experience if you purchase your mattress from Amazon instead of them. I purchased the Tuft & Needle Mint through Amazon and have been having difficulty with the firmness of the mattress within my 100 day trial period…I was transferred to the Partnership Team which apparently deals with customers who purchase a mattress from somewhere other than Tuft & Needles website. This is where the customer service experience degrades.”
Who Should Purchase a Tuft & Needle Mattress?
A Tuft & Needle mattress may be a great option for a variety of sleepers, particularly those who sleep on their side and stomach. Foam mattress users who don’t like the feeling of sinking may also enjoy Tuft & Needle’s foam or hybrid options. With three mattress models, buyers can easily research which option will be best for them. Buying through Tuft & Needle is a great option for those looking to dodge mattress shopping with a salesperson, as well as those who want the benefits of a foam mattress without an ultra-premium price tag.